By Eli Yokley
December 6, 2016 at 12:39 pm ET
A senior adviser to President-elect Donald Trump said Tuesday the son of retired Army Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, picked to serve as the next administration’s national security adviser, is no longer serving with transition efforts. The development comes days after Michael Flynn Jr. tweeted about a conspiracy theory related to a dangerous incident at a Washington, D.C., pizza restaurant.
Speaking Tuesday morning on a call with reporters, Trump spokesman Jason Miller said Flynn’s son “was helping his father with some administration and scheduling duties early on in the transition process and he is no longer involved with transition efforts.”
Earlier in the day on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” Vice President-elect Mike Pence, who chairs Trump’s transition, offered fewer details, but also said, “General Flynn’s son has no involvement in the transition whatsoever.”
RELATED: Who’s responsible for fake news?
Questions arose about Flynn Jr.’s involvement in the transition after a CNN report Monday revealed he had a “.gov” email address and was working for the transition. On Sunday night, Flynn Jr. tweeted about the “Pizzagate” conspiracy theory, a baseless accusation that Comet Ping Pong in Northwest D.C. hosted an underage sex trafficking operation run by Hillary Clinton and her former campaign manager, John Podesta.
The restaurant could have been the site of a tragedy earlier Sunday, when an armed North Carolina man fired a rifle inside the establishment during what police say he called an effort to “self-investigate” the conspiracy.
Flynn himself has also trafficked in at least one conspiracy theory during the campaign.
Eli Yokley is a senior data reporter at Morning Consult covering politics and campaigns. @eyokley