April 5, 2023 at 5:00 am ET
Generation Alpha is taking the world by storm. As digital natives with a powerful influence on their parents’ purchasing decisions, they are a marketing gold mine.
To successfully market to this tech-savvy generation, brands must understand their characteristics, consumer behavior and preferences. Below we’ll delve into the world of Gen Alpha and explore the most effective marketing tactics to reach them.
- Who is Gen Alpha?
- Gen Alpha characteristics and consumer behavior
- Gen Alpha marketing tactics
- Improve marketing campaign performance with Morning Consult
- Schedule a conversation
Who is Gen Alpha?
Born between 2010 and 2025, Gen Alpha is the largest generation shaping the future. As the first generation to grow up fully immersed in technology and digital culture, they have unique behaviors and preferences that marketers should take into consideration.
Gen Alpha characteristics and consumer behavior
Gen Alpha’s consumer behavior differs from that of previous generations, such as Gen Z. They are highly influenced by social media, and their purchasing decisions are often swayed by online reviews, video content and virtual influencers. Moreover, Gen Alpha is highly aware of social justice issues and mental health. They value authenticity, transparency and brands that stand for a cause.
For brand leaders looking to create effective Gen Alpha marketing strategies, it’s essential to keep a pulse on the latest trends related to this audience. Morning Consult’s Generation Alpha Report unpacks how to market to Gen Alpha by unveiling the factors brands should be aware of, including:
- The lives of Alphas are deeply digital. A majority of Alphas (54%) own a tablet, and their future points to virtual reality.
- Alphas are already influencing purchasing. That’s especially true for the food & beverage category.
- Video streaming keeps kids busy, but video games seem poised to take over as Alphas age.
- Travel-happy parents are bringing Alphas along. And Alphas are already influencing where their families go.
Download the full report for more insight into Gen Alpha’s behaviors and how their upbringing differs from that of previous generations.
Gen Alpha marketing tactics
To effectively market to Gen Alpha, brands need to consider their parents’ values, set and stick to their own values, invest in experiential marketing, target them through social media and video marketing, and build and engage with online communities.
Consider Gen Alpha’s parents
As mentioned above, Gen Alpha has a significant impact on their parents’ purchasing decisions. Therefore, a brand’s marketing strategy should target not only this young audience, but also their millennial parents.
Ensure that your messaging is relevant to both demographics and communicates the value of your products or services to the entire family.
Set values and stick to them
Gen Alpha is drawn to brands that have a clear mission and strong values. As shown in Morning Consult’s Sustainability Report, for example, brands that prioritize sustainability can earn the trust and loyalty of this socially conscious generation and establish a competitive advantage in the market.
Remember to set your brand’s values and ensure that you adhere to them consistently. Highlight your commitment to social justice, sustainability or mental health, and make it a core component of your brand identity.
Invest in experiential marketing
Gen Alpha values experiences and is more likely to engage with a brand that provides a memorable encounter. Consider hosting interactive events, sponsoring local initiatives or creating pop-up shops to offer an immersive experience for this young audience.
Target Gen Alpha through social media and video marketing
Social media campaigns are essential to reach Gen Alpha. They spend a significant amount of time on platforms like Instagram, YouTube and TikTok, making these the ideal places to engage with them. Create visually appealing content and utilize video marketing to capture their attention. Don’t be afraid to experiment with emerging platforms to stay ahead of the curve.
Build and engage with online communities
Gen Alpha values connection, and they are more likely to support brands that actively engage with their customers. Build a strong online presence on social media platforms and invest in community management. Encourage user-generated content, respond to messages and foster a sense of belonging within your online community.
Improve marketing campaign performance with Morning Consult
- Identifying a Target Audience: Morning Consult’s data helps brands identify and understand their target audience, including their preferences, behaviors and purchasing habits. These insights can help brands create more effective and targeted marketing campaigns that resonate with their audience.
- Measuring Brand Performance: Brands use Morning Consult’s data to measure their brand performance and reputation in the market. This information helps organizations identify areas for improvement and make data-driven decisions to enhance their brand image and customer loyalty. Learn more about building brand loyalty here.
- Testing Campaign Effectiveness: Morning Consult’s research capabilities help gauge the effectiveness of a brand’s marketing campaigns, allowing them to make adjustments to their messaging, targeting and creative elements to improve their performance and ROI.
- Tracking Market Trends: Morning Consult’s data helps companies stay up to date on market trends and consumer preferences. Brands can use this information to create marketing campaigns that are relevant and timely, and stay ahead of their competitors.
By leveraging Morning Consult’s data-driven insights, organizations can create more effective and more targeted marketing campaigns that resonate with their audience and drive business growth.
Schedule a conversation
Brands that effectively market to Gen Alpha will have a significant competitive advantage in the market and be well-positioned to shape the future of consumers. If you’re ready to take the next step to improve your marketing strategies, get in touch with our team of experts today.