CALIFORNIA PRIVACY NOTICE
We are committed to protecting the privacy and security of the California Information we collect about you and to being transparent about the purposes for which we use your California Information. This Privacy Notice sets forth our practices for handling the California Information we collect and use with respect to your access to and use of the morningconsult.com website, our email newsletters, social media pages, mobile and other applications owned and operated by us, and any other services associated therewith (“MC Media”).
CALIFORNIA INFORMATION WE COLLECT –
In particular, we have collected the following categories of California Information from consumers within the last twelve (12) months:
- Identifiers – such as name, job title, organizational affiliation, email address, and phone number, IP Address, and unique and online identifiers (e.g., browsing type, operating system, and other related information);
- Personal information categories listed in the California Consumer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)) (“California Consumer Records categories”) – such as name or telephone number;
- Internet or other similar network activity – such as browsing history, search history, and information regarding your interactions with MC Media and content such as advertisements; and
- Geolocation data – such as city and/or state of residence.
We obtain the categories of California Information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you while navigating MC Media or when you voluntarily register for optional subscriptions, downloading a report, requesting a demo, or otherwise interacting with MC Media Indirectly from you while observing your actions on MC Media
- Linked sites such as social media sites and third-party platforms
- Information suppliers
- Publicly available sources
- Co-branded partners
USE OF CALIFORNIA INFORMATION –
We may use or disclose the California Information we collect for one or more of the following purposes:
- To communicate with you;
- To help deter fraud, prevent crime and maintain the safety, security, and integrity of MC Media;
- To better provide the services requested;
- To offer you enhanced or more personalized features;
- To provide you with the opportunity to participate in surveys;
- To provide certain services to our customers (without disclosing your California Information);
- To develop, maintain, provision or upgrade MC Media;
- To tailor MC Media, marketing, and advertisements to your perceived interests
- To assist in internal research, analytics and development – e.g., user-preference analytics;
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulation; and
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which California Information held by us about our consumers is among the assets transferred.
SHARING CALIFORNIA INFORMATION –
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have disclosed the following categories of California Information for a business purpose:
- California Consumer Records categories;
- Internet or other similar network activity; and
- Geolocation data.
We disclose your California Information for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
- Apps, websites, and third-party integrations on or using MC Media;
- Analytics Partners – These entities help us collect data on how MC Media is used, so that we can improve and better understand our consumers;
- Advertising Partners – These entities help us advertise our products or services, as well as connect us with others who want to place advertisements on some of our products or services; and
- Co-branded Partners – We partner with these entities to jointly promote our products and services, for example by co-hosting webinars.
We do not sell your California Information.
YOUR RIGHTS –
The CCPA provides California residents with specific rights regarding their California Information. Under the CCPA, you have the right:
- To know what categories and specific pieces of California Information we have collected, used, or shared about you;
- To know the categories of sources from which we collected your California Information;
- To know the business or commercial purposes for which we collected or sold your California Information;
- To know the categories of third parties with which we shared your California Information;
- To delete your California Information that we have collected from you;
- To opt-out of the sale of your California Information; and
- To not be discriminated against for exercising any of these rights, including not denying you goods or services or suggest that you may receive a different quality or level of goods or services.
As explained above, we do not sell your California Information.
HOW TO EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS –
You can exercise your “right to know” or your “right to request deletion” either by submitting a Morning Consult Data Request, or by contacting us at email@example.com. You may only exercise your “right to know” twice within a 12-month period.
Please note that to protect your information we may need to verify your identity before processing your request. In some cases, we may need to collect additional information to verify your identity. When submitting a request, please be sure to indicate the right being exercised, and include your first and last name as well as the email address used when interacting with MC Media. A member of our team will review your request.
Under the CCPA, you may exercise these rights yourself or you may designate an authorized agent to make these requests on your behalf. We may request that your authorized agent have written permission from you to make requests on your behalf and may need to verify your authorized agent’s identity.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the California Information, provide a service that you requested and to take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you;
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities;
- Debug products or identify and repair errors that impair extended functionality;
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights or exercise another right provided for by the law;
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.);
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the businesses’ deletion of the information is likely to render impossible or seriously impair the achievement of such research, if the consumer has provided informed consent;
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us;
- Comply with a legal obligation; and
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
RESPONSE TIMING AND FORMAT –
We will confirm receipt of your request within ten (10) business days. If you do not receive confirmation within the 10-day timeframe, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We endeavor to substantively respond to a verifiable request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to another 45 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
We will deliver our written response electronically.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the twelve (12) month period preceding our receipt of your request. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select an electronic format to provide your California Information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
CHANGES TO OUR PRIVACY NOTICE –
We reserve the right to amend this Privacy Notice at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this Privacy Notice, we will post the updated notice on MC Media and update the Privacy Notice’s “Last Updated” date. Your continued use of MC Media following the posting of changes constitutes your acceptance of such changes.
CONTACT INFORMATION –
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, the ways in which we collect and use your California Information, your rights regarding such use, or wish to exercise your rights under CCPA, please contact us at:
Webform: Morning Consult Data Request
Attn: Privacy Counsel
1025 F Street NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20004
Last Updated: April, 22, 2022